/ /

  • linkedin
  • Increase Font
  • Sharebar

    Expense drivers for costliest psoriasis patients

    Biologic medications are clearly a costly component of psoriasis care. However, new research from a retrospective study suggests that they may not be the major driver of cost in the subset of patients incurring the most expenditures.

    Instead, investigators found that their costliest psoriasis patients had substantially higher comorbidities, inpatient stays, and emergency utilizations compared to psoriasis patients incurring less costs.

    Based on these findings, published recently in the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology,1 effectively managing comorbid conditions among psoriasis patients is likely critical for reducing overall costs, says investigator April W. Armstrong, M.D., M.P.H., director of the psoriasis program at the Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif.

    “While biologics are costly, they are not the whole story,” Dr. Armstrong tells Dermatology Times.

    “These findings challenge the misconception held by many outside of dermatology that psoriasis patients may be generally healthy and only occur expenses related to their medications or psoriasis,” she adds. “Instead, the findings show that, among the costliest psoriasis patients, much of the expenses were on medical expenditures and on comorbid conditions, rather than psoriasis itself.”  

    Cost and psoriasis: Filling in the gaps

    Cost accounting for psoriasis patients is an important issue because it impacts payer decisions, clinician prescribing behavior, and patient outcomes. However, not much is known about this topic; to address this, Dr. Armstrong and colleagues sought to examine costs among psoriasis patients in the United States whose healthcare service utilization were consistently the highest among their psoriasis peers over a three-year period.

    In the retrospective study, investigators reviewed pharmacy, medical, and enrollment data for more than 12.6 million U.S. individuals enrolled in a commercial health plan. For analysis, they selected individuals who had two or more diagnoses of psoriasis and who were continually enrolled in the plan from Jan. 1, 2011 through Dec. 31, 2013 (N = 18,653). These individuals were stratified into four cost groups: top, high, medium, and low.

    The top group included individuals who were in the top 10% of spending for all three years of enrollment. Despite being a very small portion of the overall study population (just 3% of enrollees), they accounted for 13% of the overall spending on health care utilization.

    The top group’s total psoriasis-related expenditure was two times higher than the bottom group ($8,716 vs $4,541; P < 0.001), but more notably, their total all-cause costs (combined medical and pharmacy costs) were eight times higher than the bottom group ($68,913 vs $8,815; P < 0.001).

    Much of what was responsible for the costs in the costliest psoriasis group was the medical expenditure to treat comorbid conditions.

    “They had substantially higher comorbidities, inpatient stays, and emergency utilizations compared to psoriasis patients incurring less costs,” Dr. Armstrong explains. “The implication of this finding is that comorbidities incur disproportionately large amount of cost in psoriasis patients, so screening and managing comorbidities at the outset may reduce long-term clinical sequelae and costs.”

    NEXT: How do biologics relate to psoriasis cost?

    0 Comments

    You must be signed in to leave a comment. Registering is fast and free!

    All comments must follow the ModernMedicine Network community rules and terms of use, and will be moderated. ModernMedicine reserves the right to use the comments we receive, in whole or in part,in any medium. See also the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community FAQ.

    • No comments available

    Latest Tweets Follow